About The Master
started his training in 1983 under Grand Master Dennis Ichikawa
in Tarzana. His love for the Martial Arts and teaching even when he was a lower ranking student was evident from the beginning.
Mr. Cox was born and raised here in California. He earned his 1st degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do under Dennis Ichikawa in 1987. He now has 4 children; 3 boys and 1 girl. Michael
, and Ariel
). Mr. Cox had very meager beginnings; in 1987 Mr. Cox was a machinist and part time pool man with a mega dream. His dream was to have a martial arts studio that impacted the lives of 1000’s. His goal was to have over 100 Black Belts. Through God’s direction and perseverance Mr.Cox now operate one of largest schools in the San Fernando Valley that presently has over 400 Black Belts.
Mr. Cox believed in himself and overcame very trying times and his school now impacts this community in a very positive way. As a Deputy Sheriff, Mr. Cox understands and works hand in hand with law enforcement to help keep our officers safe. Chatsworth Karate
started in 1987 at the Church at Rocky Peak, after four years teaching the karate ministry Mr. Cox opened on the corner of Lassen and De Soto in 1990. In 1998 he had outgrown his location he then moved to his present location on the corner of Canoga and Devonshire. Mr. Cox is a family man and knows the value of leadership; he instills those values on a daily basis with both the adults and the juniors. His Born to Win
slogan is known throughout the valley.
Mr. Cox and the Schools Credentials
America’s Best Chatsworth Karate recognition:
- 1987 Mr. Cox earned his 1st degree in Tang Soo Do Instructor Dennis Ichikawa.
- 1989 Mr. Cox earned his 2nd degree in Tang Soo Do Instructor Dennis Ichikawa.
- 1992 Mr. Cox earned his 3rd degree in Tang Soo Do Instructor Dennis Ichikawa.
- 1996 Mr. Cox earned his 4th degree (Master Rank in Tang Soo Do) Instructor Dennis Ichikawa.
- 2001 Mr. Cox earned his 5th degree in Tang Soo Do Instructor Dennis Ichikawa. (Dennis Ichikawa TO/Westlake Karate 805-495-5192)
- 2006 Mr. Cox earned his 6th degree in Tang Soo Do Instructor Dennis Ichikawa. (Dennis Ichikawa TO/Westlake Karate 805-495-5192)
- 1996 Mr. Cox earned a 1st degree Black Belt in Hap Ki Do under Instructor Mr. Fariborz.
- 1993 Instructor of the Year Master Yamashita.
- Blue Belt in Machado Ju Jit Su under Instructor David Meyers.
- Certified Cardio Kick Instructor from NAPMA (National Association of Professional Martial Arts).
- Certified Krav Maga Instructor (Krav Maga Worldwide)
- Certified from the Krav Maga World Wide Center in Los Angeles Instructors: Dareen Levine, John Whitman, and Michael Margolin.(Krav Maga Worldwide (310) 966-1300)
- United States Karate League 1995 and 1996 Breaking and Self-Defense champion.
- 1995 NBL and SKI World Champion Breaker.
- Certified NAPMA school (National Association of Professional Martial Arts).
- Chatsworth Karate voted one of the top 200 schools in North America 1992-1995.
- April 1993 voted school of the Month by Black Belt Magazine.
- Jan 1994 recognized by the LAPD for aiding in the capture of a child predator.
- Presented President Reagan with an honorary Black Belt in 1994.
I wanted to share a quick note from myself. I have been involved in the Martial arts for 20 years and with all my heart I cannot think of a better avenue of personal growth. We strive to stand for our code of courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit. I tell my students that in today’s world you must take a stand for something or you will fall for anything. Our goal here at the school is to challenge you both mentally and physically because this is where you will find balance. I believe we have a responsibility to help our students and our youth develop leadership skills. I believe our school will help with personal development as well as being able to defend yourself in any situation.
Leadership is influence, nothing more nothing less. When you become a student of leaders, as I am, you recognize people’s level of influence in everyday situations all around you. I believe we can all reach our potential if we do not let mediocrity be our forefront. Mediocrity is a region bounded on the north by compromise, on the south by indecision, on the east by past thinking, and on the west by a lack of vision. Procrastination is a killer because the best time of the day is now. Invest in yourself move forward and have goals, remember a goal is a dream with a deadline. When you make a decision for yourself remember that people will throw bricks at you like “It’s impossible don’t waste your time and money.” or “It’s possible but has limited value.” All great ideals and goals create conflict. In other words, your destiny creates challenges and criticism.
Make a decision for yourself to be challenged turn the bricks others throw at you into stepping-stones toward YOUR GOAL. If you are looking for a place to learn how to defend yourself, teach your children self-discipline and confidence, or become a black belt, or just feel better about your self you have found your home. I’m looking forward to meeting with you. You are Born To Win!!